Sunday, October 7, 2012

One of the Greats

Cameron had an amazing experience last Sunday and shared it in a email. I thought I'd post it here as well. :)

09/30/2012

Wynton Marsalis was at BAM today.  I had worked it out with our department of Artist Services to arrange for an introduction.  There was a lot going on and I was not going to be able to stay until the end of the show as previously arranged.  At intermission, I went down to the stage level.  I met up with Stacey Dinner; one of our Artist Services staff.  I explained I had to go and handed her my copy of the Hayden Trumpet Concerto and asked if she could get Wynton to sign it.  She said, “Sure but hang on.”  She pulled up her phone, I heard her say, “hey, you got a minute?  Ok.  You downstairs?  Ok.  We’ll head your way.”  At the stairs, we met a man that Stacey introduced to me as the band manager.  She told him that I was interested in meeting Wynton and getting his autograph.  He boisterously said, “Sure thing.  Come on down.”  We were taken below stage just by the pit doors.  I was introduced to many of the band members and I thanked them for being at BAM and for the good show they were putting on.  I saw Wynton riffing with the band enjoying himself.  He looked relaxed and like he was having a good time.  The manager went up to him and told him, “This young man wants to talk to you.”  Wynton said, “Sure” and gestured for me to come over. 

I introduced myself as the Director of Building Operations for BAM and thanked him for the being here and putting on such a great show.  I then asked, “I was wondering if I could ask for one indulgence.” He said sure.  I began my story: 

“Twenty years ago I began to play the trumpet.”  He broke in, “Twenty years?  My Lord.  Let me shake your hand again.”  We laughed and I continued.  “My parents put me in trumpet lessons early.  During my first lesson I was told to get three things.  The first was a copy of Arbans method book.”  He said, “Sure that makes sense.  And the second was that copy of the Hayden Concerto?”  I replied, “That’s it.”  He said, “I’d know that piece anywhere.  What was the third?”  I said, “Wynton Marsalis, The London Concert.”   He looked stunned.  He put his hand on my shoulder.  I continued, “I was told that if I wanted to be a great trumpeter, I needed to listen to greatness.  I took this piece and learned it while developing my own sound by listening to The London Concert and other Marsalis recordings.  That direction shaped a lot of who I turned out to be as a musician and this piece [the Hayden Trumpet Concerto] was my audition piece for college where I was accepted on a trumpet performance scholarship."  I told him that I would be honored if he would sign this piece.  He looked as if he was going to well up.  He put his arm around me and said, “That is one of the best things I ever heard.”  He continued, “Do you want me to sign the cover?”  I nodded and he said, “C-A-M-E-R-O-N, right?”  I affirmed.  He then wrote, Cameron, Thank you. That makes it worth it.  Signed Wynton Marsalis.  I thanked him for the gift and told him I would treasure it.  I also told him that I would be sure to come see him at Lincoln Center.  He said, “When you do, call my office.  Tell them who you are.  I’ll take care of it.”  I was shocked and said, “Wow.  That’s great.  Thank you very much.”  He said, “Thank you for telling me your story.” 

At that point, the show was just a few minutes from resuming and everyone needed to get back to places.  I thanked Stacey and the band manager for making it happen and we parted ways.  He was so approachable and welcoming, he made me feel as if I could have visited all afternoon and it would have been just fine. 

Many times with successful individuals, you don’t get truly genuine people.  He seemed to really appreciate my experience and made me feel that he won’t soon forget it.  I am sure he meets hundreds of people each year that tell him how he has influenced their life but he didn’t show it.  He took in the experience as if I was his only fan in the world.  He made me feel so welcome and appreciated.  It was inspirational for me to experience that.  Regardless of how successful he has become, he welcomed me into his world and we shared a moment that I know I shall never forget.  

Until today, Wynton was always a musical inspiration; someone I could look to for stylistic phrasing, musical interpretation, or a sound I was trying to achieve.  Today, he added an element of character to that inspiration.  Being approachable and welcoming like that is a characteristic I have seen in few others.  I have been looking forward to this for about 6 months.  I could not have imagined what occurred.  I am truly honored to have had this experience and thought I would share it with you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment